Twitter Updates

03 December 2007

Things I learned from my first NaNoWriMo

I'm sorry to report that I didn't make it to 25,000 words. The final count was 22,303. Although I'm disappointed, I'm also very proud of myself for even getting that far. I'm already looking forward to next year and I'm certain that I'm going to continue writing (short stories, though) to keep the muscles warmed up for next November. I promised myself that I would close this one off at 25K, even if it's an abrupt, disjointed ending. La convinced me that it would give me some resolution and sense of accomplishment. Working without pressure, though, is just not the same.

Things I learned from my first NaNo that will help me complete it next year:
  • Start on the first of November. I started on the fifth because I was too nervous to get the first word down.
  • Don't have a New Month (eve's eve) party the night before the last day. I got way too happily drunk and couldn't function the next day.
  • Have a basic plot idea before the first of the month.
  • Don't get stuck in writing sequentially. I was bored with some sections at times, and should have just kept the momentum going by writing more interesting parts, then stitching them together in the right order after the thirtieth.
  • Toward the third week, start planning for the end. A few days ago, I made a list of all the loose ends I wanted to tie back up and where I wanted it to go. It was very helpful, but too late.
  • Don't do NaNoWriMo a month after you get married. Believe it or not, I was still recovering from the wedding madness, only to be thrown into NaNo madness.
  • I need to go to Write-Ins and NaNo events next year. I can see how they can be motivating.
  • Convince La to do it again next year. She was a major inspiration for me to write day in and day out. (I'm a bit competitive)

Overall it was so much fun. This is the first time I've ever done something like this. I've grown a new appreciation for books and their authors that you can only earn from trying to do it yourself. I'm happy that I finally participated and got the nerves out. Next year I'm going to kick some literary ass. If anyone participates next year, let me know.

No comments: