Twitter Updates

28 November 2007

The Final Lap of NaNoWriMo

It's amazing what a little indifference and disappointment can do to sideswipe my motivation to write my NaNo. Since my last entry, I've gotten back into playing FIFA 08, got caught up on Heroes, Man vs. Wild, and Pushing Daisies, watched 4 or 5 movies (go see The Mist), and gotten to know my new DSLR better. Not to say that I haven't written anything. At the time of this writing, I'm at 22,039 words with 2 days left. I've decided that I will try to make the 25K word mark. Halfway... Meh.

I'm in the process of closing down the story now. It's way premature, but I'm figuring that if I don't wrap it up now, I'm never going to touch the story again. I'm trying to convince myself that 25K words is pretty damn good for my first NaNo. Actually, my first piece of fiction ever written for leisure! I'm already psyched about next year.

But to close off a story, I'm realizing that there are too many loose ends to tie up in 3000 words and/or 3 days. I feel like I'm still developing the story. I'm trying to avoid those lame plot twists to speed up the pace. E.g., "and then he woke up." *shiver* What's sad is that there really is no climax to the story (yet. if only I had a few more weeks...), so there won't be much resolution. The outline of my story: Build, build, wait for it...wait for it...end. The building of the characters is rather good, in my opinion.

The characters had been leading the story thus far. I feel like I know them well enough and I've just been watching what they do. But now I have to intervene and burden them with artificial events. Again...meh.

Wish me luck on the next 3000. I'll be back with final report in a few days.

No comments: