Twitter Updates

16 November 2007

Short Update (or NaNoWriMo is taking over!)

As you can tell from my latest status update, it's been all about the NaNoing. I'm way behind on word count. I'm supposed to be over 25,000 words by now, but I'm at 15,618. Not too shabby for my first NaNo, but not quite up to par. I've relented to the fact that I'm probably not going to finish the full 50,000, but I'm going to continue writing until the last day to see how far I can get.

I'm having flashbacks of writing my thesis. All the self-doubt, low self-esteem and stress have returned. But this time around it's fully voluntary with no consequences if I don't succeed. People have likened it to running a marathon. I can see that I'm already winning by getting this far. 15K words of fiction for leisure??? I never would have thought I could do that.

To help with the process, I have purchased a piece of gadget pr0n...the AlphaSmart Neo. It's a throwback to a pre-Internets age of single functioning instruments. It's a word processor...and that's all. But it's a damn good, full-featured one! I could go crazy on how great it is, but there are millions of others who have reviewed this wonderful piece of artwork. It's light and there are no distractions. I'm a chump for gadgets and this seems to be one of the gadgets many people are using strictly for NaNoWriMo.

This weekend will be some good catch up time, as will the Thanksgiving break. Wish me luck. And if anyone has any random writing prompts to help me write this story, please leave a comment.

No comments: