Twitter Updates

20 October 2008

Just write and press "Send"

I know...I said I'd be blogging more. I had this great idea for an entry this morning, but it somehow escaped me on the drive over to work.

I'm typing this entry on my Neo Alphasmart to get into the practice of using this machine during NaNo. I'm getting more and more excited as the day comes closer. Lara got her grandfather to join in this year! Anyone out there want to join in with me? It's a painfully wonderful experience that I highly recommend.

I underestimated the difficulty in writing blog entries that steer clear from diary-ish (eww) or journal-y tones. My inclination is to always report what has been going on in my life, first, then see what comes up after that. I want to go the other way, then stop before I get to the life reporting. Yet, that's what blogs hove become. Or at least what most people expect. Blogs have replaced handwritten letters and even emails sent to an individual person. It's a way to keep in touch with a lot of people with minimal effort. That isn't a bad thing, just a shift in communication. It's even gotten extreme with micro-blogging (to which I am proudly a member) thanks to Twitter and Facebook status updates.

But then what's left to pique the interests of you, the reader? Blogging has always been a self-centered act. I write all of this for me, me, me. Having an audience is a perk, so I guess I should keep them in mind. So there it was...another boring stream-of-consciousness entry that helps clear the tubes of bullshit from the system in preparation for some high speed writing in 11 days.